Converter Boxes for Old Analog TVs
If you have an old tube TV like the one shown on the right, or a flat screen that does not have a built-in digital tuner (rare), you will need a digital TV converter box in order to get free TV using an antenna. These cost less than a month of cable TV for most people.
If you're one of those folks with a tube TV, you might want to consider upgrading to a flat screen TV if you can afford it. Here are some reasons why:
- You won't need to buy a digital TV converter box (saving you $50).
- You won't need to buy a set-top box to get Netflix and other Internet video services. Many new TV's have this built in (saving you $50-$100).
- You'll have incredible picture quality compared to your tube TV.
- Flat screen TV's use up less space and energy for a given screen size.
- Even if you buy a Sony 40" wide screen HDTV, the savings from cancelling cable will pay for it in less than a year.
OK, if you still want to buy a digital TV converter box for your tube TV, they have them at your local Radio Shack. Here are some others that will work and had the best reviews that I could find:
If the widget doesn't show up, the links are here:
If you have a flat screen TV without a digital tuner (these are relatively rare), you'll need to get a digital tuner box. I searched around a bit and couldn't find one that has gotten good reviews. Let me know if you find anything.
Leave a comment
Tell us about your tuner box experiences or ask a question! Your email address will not be shown. If you want help with reception issues, please provide your zip code.